The guy on the horse was the King of Romania
Orthodox Church in Bucharest
This is the largest open air museum in the world. It is in the middle of Bucharest. It is a museum of villages that once were the homes of Romanians. It was beautiful and very interesting, these people loved wood carving and must have been very short because all the doorways were very short. The women were wonderful seamstresses and weavers. The number one product from Romania at one time was wool, many of the men here were Shepherds.
This is a Church, all wood.
These are the castles for the King and Queen of Romania. When Communism took over Romania they kicked them out of Romania, the family now lives in France and uses these castles still today, but they are open to the public also. They were very beautiful and have a Germany influence.
We had a wonderful time seeing Bucharest and attending our Seminary and Institute Conference. We had a bad experience on Tuesday with a taxi driver. We got out of the taxi and Richard went to pay and the driver grab most of his money in his hand and drove off. The only problem was the back door was still open and it hit a parked car and he really wrecked his car and the parked car. Richard and I just stood there in shock and then we went to have some pizza. We got over it and were thankful he didn't hurt us and anyone else. We are thankful that we live in Zagreb Croatia and not Bucharest Romania. But I must say I really loved the drive to Transylvania, it is in the mountains and very beautiful and green. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of Dracula's castle. I got very sick today and we had to get a hotel room and I have been in bed all day, hopefully tomorrow I will feel better. Love you all so much.
from carrie with love.
I just read a book a couple of weeks ago called "the Seamstress" by Sarah Tuval Bernstein. It's about a Jewish woman who lived in Transylvania and Bucharest during WWII. She really loved the area and spoke about it so much. It really gives a sense of the place.
ReplyDeleteEventually Sarah was shipped off to a concentration camp and endured incredible horrors but was so strong and brave. It was a really good book. Not exactly the most cheerful story but one that is important to never forget.