Thursday, December 13, 2012

Our Day Trip to Slovenia

OK, so I was standing in line at Europe's version of Costco and this guy had this dead animal in his cart, so I am thinking what in the world is that, so I walked back into the meat department and found a whole row of hanging dead PIGS!!  And as you can see they included the head of the pigs too.
  It really creeped me out!!
 
 Today Richard and I drove up to visit two of our teachers in Slovenia and then we attended one of our  their Seminary Classes.  This teacher drives one hour each way once a week to teach two brothers seminary.  We are always delighted to visit them because they all speak English, they are also really great young men and their teacher is so sweet and dedicated. 
After we visited their class we had dinner at this really great authentic Slovenian restaurant.
This was Richard's meal called the "Farmer's Plate" all Slovenia's famous foods. 

These are buckwheat dumplings with mushroom sauce, very popular Slovenia dish.
Downstairs of this restaurant is a Gingerbread Museum, where they make gingerbread into all kinds of fun cute Christmas tree decorations and also adorable edible gingerbread cookies.
This is a view of the original 200 year old kitchen, it was the cutest kitchen I have ever seen.  This was one of my most favorite things I have seen in Europe.  They make the cutest gingerbread cookies you have ever seen, in all kind of shapes and sizes.  Most of the cookies were frosted red. 
 Slovenia and Croatia both are famous for their red heart gingerbread cookies. 

Here is the work area the lady is rolling out gingerbread, the drawers are full of gingerbread heart cookies decorated with Slovenia sayings.

These are the original ovens that are 100 years old!!
This is me walking back to our car after our delicious dinner and fun evening. 
 It was only about 18 degrees, I love my warm coat and hood!!
from carrie with love

No comments:

Post a Comment