Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I am cooking here!

Chocolate Chunk Cookies

There are no chocolate chips here they don't even know what they are! So I buy the cooking chocolate you see to the right and break it up and it works just fine.  They love chocolate in Europe so there is no problem finding good chocolate. Two things I have found to be very different here in cooking is the flour and the eggs.  The flour here is according to how fine it is grounded and the eggs are very dark as you can see in the photo below and the yolks are dark yellow too.
 I made cookies for the Elders today and they turned out great and of course they ate all of them. 
We really like it when we get to be with the Elders we really love their energy and Spirits.

Introducing Our New Crock Pot
So every day we leave in the afternoon and go to the office down town Zagreb, and come back to our apartment late, so we needed a Crock Pot right?  Well, they don't have crock pots in our mission any where, but we found one finally and just guess how much it cost us?   
 It cost $150!  It works great and we are so glad we found one, but it was hard to pay that much.

My favorite Water!  This water is everywhere here and it instantly became my favorite! 
 Love you Jana

From Carrie with love

3 comments:

  1. For reals Sis W, I LOVE these stories because guess what...my mom and I went through the SAME things when she moved the Belfast! Spending the month there trying to get her settled was hilarious because she got so frustrated that nothing was "modern" and they were "stuck in the 1800's". Her biggest pet peeve...chocolate chips!! I'm not kidding you, I bring her 3 big bags of those chocolate chips from Costco every time I go over there and she takes some back after she visits home.

    Also, the reason the eggs are different is because they're not farmed like they are here. Darker yolks = chickens were most likely free-range and not caged (grass fed vs grain fed). Have you noticed they're richer flavored or no?

    And the flour, that's why they go by weight vs volume most everywhere but America because of the different types of flour. Funny, huh?

    It just made my day reading this. Hope you're having a blast and enjoying great food with your crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, would love that kind of water....JANA is a good name and a great lady! Good reminders of those who are supporting you from home!! Love both of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just talked to my mom and she said you would have better luck going to a Toom or Karstadt in Germany to find your modern appliances. German department stores have been Americanized so you'll find most things you need in them - Karstadt is like a Mervyns....so if you make a Temple trip any time in the near future, it'd be worth it to check those stores out.

    ReplyDelete