Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What I love about Europe

So, do you know what I love about Europe?  Well, let me think. . . . I love the cities in Europe because each city has a center that is only walking no cars and is filled with wonderful shopping and food and beautiful fresh flowers are sold everywhere.  I love the wonderful homemade bread that is found in every restaurant and in every grocery store and a Pan-Pek (bread store) is found on almost every corner.  The people here love their gardens and flowers so everyone even in the city have colorful flowers and gardens and fruit trees growing in their yards and window boxes.  I love to watch all the young people here as they walk or ride the tram or just sit and talk in the many street cafes all over the city.  Just for your information the people here are really tall, I mean really tall!  Both girls and boys, so we were talking with a young girl who is tall and she was telling us that the Dalmatian Coast which is the coast in Croatia has some of the tallest people in the world!  So I love seeing all these very attractive tall people everywhere, since my children are all also tall.  So that explains why tall basketball players come from Croatia, it looks like every young man we see here could play for the NBA. 
I love the windows here in the apartments and house, first of all none of the windows have screens, but they have handles that turn three different ways to open the window two different ways and one to close.  The windows here open up from the side or just the top of the window falls open to let a breeze flow through your house.  And each window has a outdoor shutter that pulls down and closes off the whole window and shuts out the light and the weather,  I love them!  I also love that you never tip in Croatia, it is not even expected ever!  Another great thing is at the grocery store when you go to get a shopping cart they are all chained together, so when you go to get one you have to put a coin in this slot and the chain opens you get the cart and use it for shopping and when you are finished you take your cart back and get your coin back!  It's a great idea, you never see anyone stealing a cart or any stray carts being blown into the side of your car making a dent in it.  I love the fruit juice here they have every kind of juice you could imagine and they are really wonderful, my favorite so far is their Cherry, they love Cherrys here everyone has a Cherry tree in their yard, they claim their Cherrys are different from ours (I don't think they are though).  One last thing I love about Europe is that we were able to see a baptism in the Adriatic Sea.  I have never seen a baptism outdoors let alone in a Sea.  It really was a special experience to witness each of those individuals making that commitment to follow their Savior and be baptised by immersion by someone holding the proper authority of the Priesthood and then following their baptisms to see each of them receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  It is wonderful to be part of our Heavenly Father's great plan of Happiness here in the Adriatic Mission.  The gospel will bless Europe as the gopsel strengthens individuals and unites families, in turn these families will strengthen their countries as they live their lives with integrity and honesty and keep the standards set by Jesus Christ.  It really is a blessing to be a part of sharing this great plan of happiness with the people here in Europe!
From Carrie with love to everyone I love!

1 comment: